Saturday, August 15, 2015

Sexism in SFF

Provocative article in The New Statesman entitled "I read the 100 “best” fantasy and sci-fi novels - and they were shockingly offensive."

Essentially, the author set out to read all of the books (or, at least, those she had not already read) on NPRs 2013 list of the 100 best fantasy and science fiction novels. What she found was, in her words, "barely disguised sexism and inability to imagine any world where women are involved in the derring-do."

I looked over the list and thought it was a little strange for a "best of" list. Partly, this can be explained by the fact that the list was compiled from a vote by thousands of NPR listeners; popular votes often leave off great fiction. In this case, for example, they managed to leave off the entire oeuvre of Octavia Butler. Young adult and horror novels were also excluded, although that criterion appears to have been applied inconsistently (Heinlein's juveniles were allowed, but A Wizard of Earthsea was not, for example).

Nonetheless, it is not a terrible list, and so I was a little surprised at the author's strong reaction. That is not to say that I thought it was entirely wrong; I was just surprised by the overall finding, as well as some of the examples cited.

Partly, this reflects weaknesses in my memory. For example, in describing Anne McCaffery's Dragonflight, the author points out that the sex between the main male and female characters is explicitly described as rape. I had completely forgotten that (in my defense, it has been close to three decades since I read it).

But partly, I think it may also reflect that the author of the piece read some of the books very shallowly, or did not finish them after bouncing off something in the early pages. For example, in describing Joe Haldeman's The Forever War, the author complains that
despite the same years in combat, one of the supporting female protagonists, Marygay, only gets made an executive officer while Joe, the male protagonist becomes a major. 
What was more disquieting was the military regulations about enforced promiscuity of the women soldiers ... Maybe it was assumed that the men would be promiscuous but this wasn’t mentioned. Given that both the men and women were soldiers ... why would only the women have to be compelled to sleep with men by military regulation?
But in the book, it is clearly established that Marygay is not promoted because she has too much empathy for the aliens. And there is at least one scene in which Joe complains about being paired with a woman whose libido exceeds his own.

Likewise, Brandon Sanderson's Final Empire is described as sexist due to the exploitation and callous disregard of lower class women by the nobility. But my recollection of this book is that the protagonist is a strong young woman who is portrayed very positively (perhaps my memory is failing me again, or maybe, as a man, I miss some things that women find offensive?)

I guess I cannot fault the author for not reading every book deeply to the conclusion; she has no obligation to continue reading something she finds objectionable. In her position, however, I would like to think that I would have given the books---voted, as they were, among the best the field has to offer---a bit more of a chance.

There is also a lot of truth in what the author writes. Much SFF, especially older literature, does fail the Bechdel test, applied to books as:
  1. Does it have at least two female characters?
  2. Is one of them a main character?
  3. Do they have an interesting profession/level of skill like male characters?
In fact, as the author points out, some have no female characters at all.

I think all of this is worth keeping in mind as I evaluate new fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment