Tuesday, September 1, 2015

On the SJW Label

I have mentioned before that I am proud to call myself a Social Justice Warrior or SJW. Today I stumbled across a lovely facebook post by Steven Barnes defending the SJW label:
Social Justice Warrior. Look at those words, and the only thing it could mean denotatively is someone willing to fight, and die, and change the world to achieve an idea of equality and justice. Literally, I can think of nothing I’d be more honored to be considered, and nothing that more accurately describes the human beings I respect most in all the world. The attempt to demonize it is nothing more than a linguistic mind control.
I heartily agree!

Steve also starts his post with an amusing story that contains a profound lesson:
There is a story that the Buddha was lecturing, and a man mocked him, insulting everything he said. Finally, the Buddha paused. “Excuse me, my friend,” he said. “If I offered you a present, and you declined to accept it, to whom then does the present belong?”

“To you” the man said smugly.

“Precisely. And if you offer me insult, and I decline to accept it, to whom then does the abuse belong?”

And the man was speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment